I bought this pitiful table at a sale several months ago because it was there and it was only $1. It is obviously homemade but it is fairly sturdy and I thought that with some fixing up it would be something I could put in the kid zone without any worry of them ruining it.
Ultimately I decided that I wanted to cover it with candy wrappers – which meant that I had to put it aside for a while so we accumulate enough wrappers. I was actually looking forward to that influx of candy at Halloween for a change. Then my children decided that they were going to gorge themselves in secret and dispose of the evidence so I didn’t get as many wrappers as I was hoping. I’m getting started anyway.
The first step was to wash it and paint it. That alone was a big improvement.
I used some white primer that I bought for the drywall repair in the bathroom project because I had it. A cheap flat paint would do just as well. I’d might have used the purple but my son might not have appreciated that much.
This is as far as I’ve gotten so far and I like it.
This is a project that might have been easier to do even ten years ago when more candy wrappers were paper based. The slippery plastic-y wrappers that are more common now aren’t as easy to open neatly and so many were ruined before I could even attempt to save them. Also, they aren’t as easy to glue flat as the thin foil or paper backed wrappers. We have more gum wrappers than anything, but all in all I think it looks good, though I was hoping for a bit more variety in wrappers. We seem to have a real preference for M&Ms.
I may have to wait for more wrappers to do the lowermost shelf but that’s okay because I’ll have to wait until spring to do the spray sealer anyway. Maybe by then we’ll have accumulated a few more wrappers.