I’m a bit off schedule with my posts but the list of things I had “to-do” yesterday was a mile long.
We have had the source of our basement puddle diagnosed and while it isn’t such great news, it isn’t totally unexpected either. Apparently the drip pan of the evaporator coil in our air conditioner was not only tilted but also very corroded so hence the drip and puddle. That wouldn’t normally be a big deal except for the fact that the air conditioner is probably original to the house (1977) and they don’t make the parts anymore. The technician told us that to replace the pan would mean replacing the evaporator coil – and newer coils function differently and that changing it would probably put enough strain on the compressor and outside parts of the unit that it would likely die sooner. In short, we should consider replacing the whole thing.
This is not a huge surprise to us and the fact that the unit is on its last legs was one big reason we got the home warranty on the house when we bought it. But guess what – the home warranty people won’t pay for this repair. The drip pan is the actual problem at the moment and that is excluded from the policy. Since the system is still functional they won’t replace it. Also, they requested to look at the inspection report for the air conditioner and since our inspector wrote that the unit was past its reasonable life span and he could not guarantee how much longer it would go on, I somehow doubt they’d cover us even if the unit died tomorrow.
My husband and I have decided to bite the bullet and fix it ourselves. As I said, we knew it was an issue coming in. Having it done will let us choose what equipment we have installed in our own time frame. We still have cool air and so long as the current unit lasts until next Friday we’ll never be without – which is a factor with temps what they have been this week. The quick fix the technician did to our drip pan has cured the puddle in the basement which is a big deal – not only don’t I want any more mold issues but the drip was directly above the brand new furnace. I do NOT want to have to replace that too!
With as hot as it has been this week, you’d think that I would have spent my time inside putting the house in order. Nope – I could not resist the lure of the yard. I just had to start weeding a particularly neglected flower bed I could not stand to look at anymore. My neighbors seem to be grateful for my efforts as well since several have stopped by to say how much better things are looking already.
There are a lot of great plants in the yard but they are haphazardly placed and have been left to their own devices too long. My plan is to try and relocate them. I may kill them all in the process but none of them are rare so I’m not too worried – I’m just going for it. I think they will appreciate the breathing room frankly! I did buy a couple of perennial flowers because what this yard lacks most is color. The only trick to doing things the way I am is that I dig a plant up from one place and then I have to weed and prepare the place where I intend to put it. It makes things seem to move slowly although in the end all the beds will be done at the same time.
One of the items on my list yesterday was to go to an estate sale. I am so glad I did because I found a metal rake $3, a hoe $2, and a hoe/claw thingie $2. The wooden handles on the tools are all coated with cushy grips too. I used that claw thingie all day yesterday and it was fantastic. I also found a small berry colander for $2. When I can revive my raspberry patch, I’ll be ready.
Have a great weekend. Hoping to have before and after garden pictures to share next week.